Thursday, June 30, 2011

30 for 30 Challenge - Outfits (16-30)


In case you stumbled upon this by mistake, you'll need to go here and here to get the back story behind what would otherwise seem like a narcissistic list of what I wear. 

Now... on to Outfits 16-30, and the conclusion to my 30 for 30 Challenge.

Outfit 16 - I chose this simply as a work outfit- dark wash jeans with the tan tank and black cardigan - pretty casual... but pairing it with the black pumps brought the dressy factor up a notch. Like I said, I chose this because it is typical work attire. However, I ended up re-donning it later that evening when a close friend needed a night on the town to forget their bad day. So, I found that it actually transitioned from day-wear to evening-wear (I suppose?) pretty well.

Outfit 17 - Outfit 17 was for a Saturday (Outfit 16 was a Thursday, but I wore a repeat on Friday... sue me), and I don't usually wear a lot of "Outfits" on Saturdays. I am usually in a bathing suit or pajamas all day... but I was going to watch a movie and eat pizza with some friends, and I thought I'd spare them the sight of my two-sizes-too-big-someone-left-them-at-my-apartment-in-college Polo pajama pants, and actually put on clothes. I wore my seafoam sheer shirt and matching cami with khaki shorts and gold and tan sandals. Nothing special, but definitely a step up from the alternative. And I do love that shirt.

Outfit 18 - Sundays are my favorite days for creating Outfits. I love to dress up... but I am also pretty (very) lazy when it comes to my appearance. But Sundays have always been my wear-a-pretty-dress day. For this particular Sunday, I wore my Calvin Klein khaki dress, which I love, and my black pumps. This dress comes with a belt, but I swapped it this day for a black ribbon belt that I have. I loved this outfit. I am most at peace in neutrals, and this was a classic combo of black and khaki.

Outfit 19 - This is probably the most unlike-me Outfit I've worn since starting this Challenge. For one, I don't usually do layers... I mean I will wear a cardigan, but I don't usually layer shirts or tanks that are the same. I see people wearing a tee with a tee over it with a cardigan and a scarf, and all I can think of is Joey Tribbiani saying, "Could I BE wearing anymore clothes?" But for this day, I stepped outside my comfort zone and layered my white tank and tan tank and wore a scarf that brought them together. I paired them with my gold and tan sandals and my dark wash jeans cuffed. I looked like a hipster, in my opinion.

Outfit 20 - I'll admit... I'm getting ready and desperate to wear the rest of my closet... but I can see the end of June on my calendar, so I must persevere. I realized on the morning of Outfit 20, that there were still pieces that had not been worn. So on this day I wore my dark wash jeans with my rose and tan shirt and nude pumps. It was a simple Outfit, but that shirt is a statement piece (for me, anyway... I don't do loud clothes), and I don't even wear a lot of jewelry with it. The detail on the neckline is just beautiful. It is really one of those pieces that I literally bought the second I saw it. Love at first sight.

Outfit 21 - I've worn my regular wash jeans and white blousy top together before with the tan and gold sandals, but this time I paired it with my tan and white cardigan. I really like wearing these two shirts together. It's something about the length of the blouse versus the length of the cardigan, or the differences in fabric... I don't know, but it never disappoints.

Outfit 22 - Outfit 22 fell on another mundane, regular workday. I chose my trusty navy blue dress and paired with the lime green cardigan and tan and gold sandals. It's a cute combo and some of the women at work complimented me. That's all I really have about that.

Outfit 23 - There is something you should know about me, and you may have already picked up on: There are days in my life when I could literally not care any less about how I look. This was one of those mornings. I got up and jogged (don't ask me why... I act impulsively sometime), and if you knew me at all, you would be asking yourself now, "Did you pass out?" Well, no... but I was exhausted. So I took a nap, after my jog, and woke up about 10 minutes before I usually leave. I wore my olive green shirt with regular wash jeans and tan and gold sandals. I actually looked fine and normal, but I assure you... no extra effort went into my appearance that day.

Outfit 24 - Outfit 24 was a "Going Out" Outfit. I don't have many of those, because feel that it is inappropriate to judge people for being somewhere if you're in the same place. So I usually stay home and judge through Facebook. Kidding! Kidding! Nonetheless, this night, we had arranged a girls' night of sorts, and went downtown. I wore my black tank and gold cardigan with dark wash jeans and black pumps. I liked this Outfit, but I will admit that this was the night I most missed the rest of my closet. If this had been day 4 or 5, there's a chance I would have just given up.

Outfit 25 - I wore Outfit 25 for maybe 4 hours. A friend of mine was married about a month and half ago, and she is still returning gifts... so I accompanied her, and then we grabbed a bite to eat. I like when I actually get to create outfits for something other than work. For this outing, I wore my white shorts and pink 3/4 shirt with the tan and gold sandals.

Outfit 26 - Outfit 26 started off my last workweek under the challenge. This Outfit is actually really similar to Outfit 1... My peach shirt and dark wash jeans... okay, fine... it's the exact Outfit except for shoes. On my first day, I wore my nude pumps, but for this Outfit I chose tan and gold sandals. But wearing flats as opposed to heels does completely change the look and feel of an outfit. 

Outfit 27 - I wanted to wear the navy blue dress again before my Challenge was over. So, on this day I paired it with my nude pumps and a tan and white scarf. I am really into neutrals this week.

Outfit 28 - Outfit 28 was worn to a softball game in the evening of the same day as Outfit 27 (I wasn't wearing a dress and heels to a ball field). I chose my white tank with tan and white cardigan with the white shorts and tan and gold sandals. I stayed relatively comfortable in the Alabama summer night.... other than the fact that my hair looked like Roseanna Roseannadanna after the second game.

Outfit 29 - I can't believe tomorrow will be my last day for the "30 for 30." I really caught my second wind around Outfit 27, and planned the remaining outfits all at once. Outfit 29 fell on a normal, nothing-out-of-the-ordinary workday. I wore my white denim mini with the tan tank and green cardigan. I had paired it with my tan sandals from yesterday (and most other days), but swapped them at the last minute for my black sandals. I wanted to wear these black and green earrings I bought in the Bahamas, and these just didn't see enough playing time.

Outfit 30 - Wow. I did it. I created 30 Outfits with only 30 Pieces of clothing. I am really proud of myself, and also really ready to wear something, anything, else. My last Outfit fell on a bittersweet day. I had to attend the "funeral" (I hate that word!) of a dear woman I knew. I didn't want to wear black, because I am not in mourning (I know where she is!) so I wore my khaki dress and nude pumps, and of course my MVP belt from Gap. I loved this Outfit, and it seemed fitting to close out my challenge with all neutrals... proving that this Challenge has only reinforced what I really like as far as fashion is concerned..... classics.

What have I learned? Most importantly: how to accessorize. I have always been a strict less-is-more girl, and this challenge showed me that the occasional belt or scarf can complete an outfit as opposed to overpowering it.
Did I pick the right pieces? For the most part, yes. There were a few shirts that I didn't enjoy as much as I thought, and I would have swapped those for some additional skirts or dresses.
Would I do this again? Yes... but probably not for a while. I need to buy a lot of new clothes before I attempt a second go.
Would I suggest this to my friends? Absolutely. I am glad I did it and can say I stuck with it. It will definitely make you appreciate your clothes.

No comments:

Post a Comment