Wednesday, June 15, 2011

30 for 30 Challenge - (Outfits 1-15)

I blogged earlier about the 30 for 30 Challenge that I was doing for the month of June. I already introduced you to the 30 pieces in play, and I thought I'd split my outfits into two posts. 

Note, for information, and so you'll be jealous: I can wear whatever I want to work... dresses, jeans, heels, sandals... I usually try to keep it cool and casual, but pulled together... there are literally people here that wear souvenir t-shirts and sneakers everyday. 

Outfit 1 - I started off my 30 for 30 Challenge with a simple shirt/jeans combo. I paired the peach shirt with my dark wash jeans, and wore my nude pumps. I wore simple pearl jewelry, as I didn't want to over-accessorize right off the bat. I wore this to work, and then church that evening.

Outfit 2 - For my second day on the clothing diet, I chose the blue dress with the tan and white cardigan. I wore my tan sandals. I wore this to work, then came home and put on pajamas, which were really cute but I don't have to report here!

Outfit 3 - Day 3 fell on a Friday... a Friday that started off a busy weekend for me. It also presented me with a problem: I had a wedding rehearsal that night, but I had to work during the day. Now, it is June in Alabama, and that means it is hot. I don't mean, "Oh it's hot out." I mean, "It is freaking 100 degrees at 5 pm." So, I couldn't wear the rehearsal outfit to work, or I would just be... gross... by the time I arrived at the rehearsal. So I asked myself, "Does this challenge say anything about wearing only one outfit per day? Or can you repeat outfits, as long as at the end of the challenge, you have worn 30 outfits in public, and used all 30 pieces?" Then I remembered that this is not the Olympics. If I quit this tomorrow, most likely that no one would even care. So I answered myself that the latter question was correct. And then I chose an olive green shirt and white denim mini, and wore my tan sandals to work.

Outfit 4 - Then, after work, I came home, cleaned up, and put on a black tank with my purple skirt and black heels. I wore a glass necklace that I bought at a Premiere Jewelry party. It really goes well with this skirt, and I thought it would "springtime" up the black tank. I was please with the outfit.

Outfit 5 - That next day, I had two weddings... One I was just attending, but was singing at the other, so I wore my black Gap dress and black pumps with a long pearl necklace. Subdued and conservative, I know... but I've always been told that soloists at weddings should wear black, so I did. I actually got many, many compliments. (Side note: I bought this dress at a Gap sale... $6. Thank you, thank you very much.)

Outfit 6 - This is my favorite outfit so far (I am aware it is only day 6). I wore the aforementioned purple skirt, but this time I paired it with my go-to white top that has the braided detail around the neck and the sheer overlay. I wore it with a belt I got at Gap (same sale as the dress) and my nude pumps. I was singing in church that morning, and wasn't sure if I'd be wearing a choir robe, so I wanted to look good. And, I think I did.

Outfit 7 - I decided at the last minute that I would go to my church's evening service, so I wore my classic regular wash jeans with that morning's white top and my tan sandals. I paired it with the same tan belt. (Spoiler alert: I wore it the next day to work, too. Don't judge.)

Outfit 8 - After I wore the exact same clothes Sunday night and Monday... day, I knew I couldn't repeat another outfit so early in the game. I chose a shirt I had not worn (in this challenge) yet, the pinky, peachy, ruffly top, which is the single most girly piece of clothing I own... paired with my dark wash jeans and nude heels. Nothing terribly inspiring, but whatev. Just a day at the office.

Outfit 9 - Wednesday was the day for Outfit number 9, and Wednesday is always a busy day for me. I  usually try to dress "up" a little, just because I will be going straight from work to church, and I feel the need to not want to look like a slob. I chose the sheer green hippie shirt with matching camisole and paired it with my white denim mini and tan and gold sandals. I was actually really pleased with this combo. I have never, in this challenge or otherwise worn this outfit, although I've had all these pieces for a while. I was pleasantly cool, even though the shirt is long sleeve (I did however roll the sleeve to three-quarters), and the arm coverage helped balance out the leg I was showing (which was nothing to write home about, being that my whole body is barely 5 feet tall).

Outfit 10 - This may be my new favorite. I still am a big fan of Outfit 6, but today's outfit is rising fast... and making me wish I had chosen more dresses. Today, I chose the navy blue dress with the tan and gold sandals. I paired it with what is soon becoming the MVP of this challenge: my on-sale-at-Gap tan belt. I have a few events coming up where I am going to have to double down on outfits in one day, and this one will for sure be making a repeat appearance.

Outfit 11 - I've passed the 10 day mark, and so far, no regrets with the pieces I chose. Outfit 11 fell on a Friday, which is an even more casual work day. I usually dress as I would any other day, but I slept late, and just couldn't care less about picking out a cute outfit. I wore my regular wash jeans with the pink 3/4 button up shirt and tan sandals. I cuffed the jeans, and the whole outfit looked effortless (which it completely was) and cute.

Outfit 12 - We have a music festival (and I am using that term generously) in my hometown each year. Sometimes we actually get bands that you really like....d when you were 13. But nevertheless, it is a good chance to people watch and eat free food. It's hot out, but you may see people that you haven't seen in a while, so I always want to be comfortable, but not at the sake of looking cute. For this, I chose my white shorts and white tank and wore the gold sleeveless cardigan and handy dandy tan belt. I of course wore my gold and tan sandals which are proving to be invaluable. I was cute, comfy, and cool... once the sun went down about 8 pm.

Outfit 13 - For Outfit 13, it was a church day, so I chose my black Calvin Klein dress and paired it with my red pumps. I tied a red sash (that came off another dress that I almost chose as one of the 30), and I ended up wearing it all day. I usually change into more casual clothes for evening services, but I was singing, so I kept the dress on all day. That was just FYI.

Outfit 14 - I realized that I was focusing on the same pieces, or so it seemed, and that I had a few shirts that had yet to even be worn. So for Outfit 14, I wore my dark wash jeans again, but paired it with my black tank  and black and white rose cardigan, which I had not worn this month. I wore my black flat sandals, in what I think may have been their debut appearance as well! I love this cardigan, and I always get tons of compliments on it... I'm not sure why I don't wear it more often.

Outfit 15 - What I am enjoying most about this experience is falling in love with clothes that I was "just friends" with before. For instance, my navy dress... I always liked it... but I felt it was either too casual or too dressy for whatever occasion was at the time. But I wore it for Outfit 15, and paired it with a bright scarf and gold and tan sandals. I loved it. This dress is quickly becoming one of my favorite pieces. And it was a complete afterthought. I actually had another pair of shoes, and swapped them at the last minute. I am so glad I did. 

No comments:

Post a Comment