Friday, April 1, 2011

Calm Down and Get Straight

I don't know if anyone is reading this... and I don't know if of the maybe 2 people that are, either have ever seen Little Shop of Horrors (the movie)... but there is a part in that movie where Audrey and Seymour are singing their little hearts out to each other in the alley... and Bill Murray's character walks in and says, "Excuse me, but if you two kids could just stop singing for one minute..."

Well, that is how I felt from 8pm-9pm last night while I was watching Grey's Anatomy: Song Beneath the Song.


Honestly, I don't even know where, or how, to begin. I'll start with a positive: Callie has an amazing voice... and the fact that she was in limbo or brain damaged or just punch drunk with love for Arizona, kind of made her singing seem appropriate. I laughed, I will admit, with the first note that was sung... but I could at least distend belief long enough to let her finish a song. Because she wasn't singing TO anyone, she was just putting her thoughts to songs she'd heard. Or some crazy bull mess that makes no sense. Whatever. It's the only positive I have.

Now, on to the best parts... Let's approach this like a true musical. By numbers. (but only those that made a lasting impression on me... and by that, I mean the bad ones.)

Chasing Cars... by Hunt, Torres, and Bailey
I can't remember what was happening on the episode that this song was originally played, but I do remember that I went and illegally downloaded Chasing Cars that same night. So, I can concede the point that Grey's has done big things for music... but still, it does not justify a musical! Dr. Hunt was the kicker for me. When he was looking at Callie, and just started singing, so intensely, the second verse... I lost it. I mean, I literally lost it. I, all at once, had to cover my eyes and my mouth, as I was about to spit water all over myself and everything in a 3 foot radius. There was no way I could be legitimately concerned for Callie's life, or that of her baby, because I was too busy cracking up at how seriously he was taking this nonsense.

Breathe... by Lexie
Considering this song is about, first, a girl going to get an abortion, and second, a young alcoholic soldier... I didn't get the connection. Were they trying to pull in every song that had ever been played on all 7 seasons? I understood that people did need to "just breathe," but I did not particularly love Lexie's voice (and she's been my favorite character since she came on the show), and I definitely thought it was a bit extreme that Callie was imagining Lexie walking down the hall singing Anna Nalick while she ripped her surgical mask off. This was my first "what the H is going on" moment.

Running on Sunshine... pretty much everyone, except McDreamy because he has a brain.
This. Was. Ridiculous. First of all, isn't everyone supposed to be super worried about their friend and her baby? Yet, Teddy is flirting it up with her patient/husband while he sings about a "rocket in his front left pocket." Is this an April Fools joke? Bailey and her nurse lover are bantering about getting it on in the hallway, and Karev is throwing the OBGYN around his trailer. My bad... I thought maybe the gyno should be with her patient that is minutes from death. The only scene in this song that seemed anywhere near appropriate was Meredith and McDreamy. He at least made a point to let the audience know that he was still thinking about Callie, and not his next solo. But that is because Patrick Dempsey is a genius and opted out of all musical numbers. When a man that had the lead in Enchanted tells you that a musical is not a good idea, maybe listen.

How to Save a Life... by Torres and others (can only remember one part of it)
This was okay. I liked how Callie was in the observation deck (or whatever it is called) with her baby daddy and lesbian lover. It was as if she was singing TO them, and that made semi-sense to me. Ok, that's all for that one.

How We Operate... by Hunt
Another one that had me burying my face out of embarrassment. I can't tell if it is because I don't like Hunt in the first place, or that he sings like he is delivering marching orders for a brigade, but I was physically uncomfortable every time the focus was on him. All the attendings are discussing literal life-and-death matters, and out of the blue (which, I will admit, I should have been expecting by now), Hunt sings "calm down, and get straight" (and don't think the irony of him saying that to Arizona was lost on me), and then he just lets loose. I hope when he wrote that song, Gomez knew the medical treatment that Callie would need... because it became apparent that it was the only direction that any of her doctors would be receiving.

Were you a fan of the music event? Or has Grey's Anatomy jumped the shark?

No comments:

Post a Comment